Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hawaiian Chicken

This is pretty much sweet and sour chicken. It's a new recipe that we tried and we all loved it. Richie said that it is second to my chicken and dumplings. That's huge considering Richie's love for my chicken and dumplings. It came from my 365 Easy One-Dish Recipes. But I have a complaint, it isn't one-dish. It's worth the extra pots and pans though.

You will need:

2 small, whole chickens, quartered- I didn't do this. I used 2.5 lbs. chicken breast tenderloins.
Flour
Oil
1 (20 oz) can sliced pineapple with juice
orange juice
2 bell peppers- the recipe says to cut them into strips, but I chopped them up cooked them in some olive oil.
Rice, cooked- We used a wild/brown rice mix. Just use what you like.

Sauce ingredients:
1 cup sugar
3 T cornstarch
3/4 vinegar- the recipe didn't specify. I used white.
1 T lemon juice (fresh, always fresh)
1 T soy sauce
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules

  • Preheat oven to 350. Wash and pat chicken dry with paper towels (if you're doing the quartered whole chicken). Shake a little salt, pepper and flour on chicken. Brown chicken in oil and placed in 10x15 inch baking pan. I baked the chicken for 20 minutes while I made the sauce.
  • Drain pineapple into 2-cup measure. Add orange juice to make 1 1/2 cups liquid. Reserve juice for sauce.

Sauce:

  • Combine 1 1/2 cups juice, sugar, cornstarch, vinegar, lemon juice, soy sauce and chicken bouillon in medium saucepan.
  • Bring to a boil, stir constantly until thick and clear and pour over chicken. Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
  • Place the pineapple slices and bell pepper on top of chicken and bake for additional 10 minutes. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment