Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ham & Potato Soup

I found this recipe in a local newspaper that is sent out here by us. When you eat it, it's like sitting by a woodstove. It isn't just a hearty soup to enjoy, it warms you to your bones. I made it last night and I thought it would be perfect for the blog. Who couldn't use some warming up right now?

You will need:
3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup diced cooked ham
3 1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon (I've used beef bouillon in a pinch, but it wasn't as good. Also, L.B. Jamison's is the best soup base. It's all I use when a recipe calls for chicken of beef bouillon. It's simply the best.)
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or to taste (I use 1/2 tsp. I think 1 tsp is too much)
5 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk

Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham, and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt, and pepper. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot (I use a dutch oven), and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

This goes great with my knock off Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits. Stay tuned, I may finally give away my secret. And while you're at it, double it. As long as you have a pot big enough, double it. Freeze what's left over and pull it out on a day when time is limited, or eat off of it at lunch the next day. I almost always double a recipe.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds super good! I cooked a ham Monday night for dinner and since we are snowed in, we are stll eating off of it! Ham biscuits, beans and cornbread cooked with the ham....we still have ham! I think we can get to the store today. I will be getting potatoes.

    And if you don't post the recipe for the knock off Cheddar Bay biscuits, you are a loser.

    ReplyDelete