Thursday, September 2, 2010

Molly's Chicken & Dumplings

Healthy? No. Delicious? Definitely. I'm actually making this recipe as I blog about it. It's Richie's favorite. You'll know why when you see how much buttter it calls for. He's been begging me to make it all week, and since he is more than likely heading to the Carolinas for Hurricane Earl, I thought I would ablige. This recipe started out as a found recipe in an Amish cookbook that I bought when we were first married, but I found it bland. Throughout the last five years I've tweeked it. So much so, that I believe that it's become my own. We think it's similar in taste to The Cracker Barrel's dumplings; just far more rustic. Perfect for fall, my favorite season!

Dumplings:
3 C flour
6 T butter
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 C milk
1 big can of chicken broth (49.5 oz.)

As for the chicken, I would suggest 4 pieces pressured in a pressure cooker, any mix of light and dark meat. Whatever you prefer. If you're short on time a cooked store bought whole chicken shredded with two forks works great also.

1. Sift together dry ingredients.
2. Cut in butter and blend with a pastry blender or fork.
3. Add milk and work the dough with your hands. The dough will be very heavy and sticky. This is what you want for a moist dumpling. If you don't like it cut back on the milk and butter.
4. Drop by spoonfuls into boiling chicken broth.
5. Turn the heat down to simmer and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
6. Cover and cook for 10 minutes more.
7. Add shredded chicken and warm through before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment